Welcoming the Other
We find ourselves in a time of heated rhetoric against people who are deemed outsiders: this includes immigrants and refugees to the United States, as well as Americans who are racial, religious, or ethnic minorities. The rhetoric against outsiders has crossed the line into violence, including here in Pennsylvania. We must examine our shared history, who we are, and the values that should guide our future. “Welcoming the Other” is a community event facilitated by State College-area leaders. We seek to build bridges among the many parts of our community by inquiring into the meaning of the national motto E pluribus unum—From many, one.
- Dr. Eric Barron, President, The Pennsylvania State University;
- Rabbi David Ostrich, Lecturer in Jewish Studies at Penn State
- A. K. Sandoval-Strausz, Director of the Latina/o Studies Program
- Shoba Sivaprasad Wadhia, Samuel Weiss Faculty Scholar and Founding
- Director of the Center for Immigrants’ Rights Clinic, Penn State Law
- Aaron Kaufman (moderator), Executive Director, Penn State Hillel
Light fare will be served.
Penn State Law Immigrants' Rights Clinic, Penn State Hillel, Penn State Latina/o Studies, and the Penn State Office of the President