Federal Government Placements
Penn State Law students extern with federal government agencies, judicial chambers, and public defender and prosecutor offices. Students participate in all aspects of civil and criminal litigation, draft legislation, prepare testimony and attend administrative proceedings, and work directly with federal judges and law clerks in observing trials, oral arguments and the work of the court.
Federal government placements include:
- U.S. Army War College
- U.S. Attorney's Office for the Middle District of Pennsylvania (in Harrisburg and Williamsport)
- Office of the Federal Public Defender (Harrisburg, PA)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit Judge D. Brooks Smith
- U.S. District Court Judge Matthew Brann
- U.S. District Court Judge Christopher C. Conner
- U.S. District Court Judge John E. Jones
- U.S. District Court Judge Yvette Kane
- U.S. District Court Judge Sylvia Rambo
- U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge William Arbuckle (in State College and Williamsport)
- U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge Martin C. Carlson
- U.S. District Court Judge Susan Schwab
Students interested in placements with federal judges should apply through the Federal Judicial Placement Program. Students interested in placements with federal government agencies or organizations focused on federal legislative practice may want to consider the Semester in Washington Program.