Visit https://virusinfo.psu.edu/university-status/#futuresemesters for more information on Penn State's coronavirus response. For information specific to the Penn State Law community, visit https://pennstatelaw.psu.edu/fall-2021.
Penn State Law in University Park Strategic Plan
Penn State Law is committed to (1) providing excellent legal education that prepares a diverse student body with exceptional research, writing, critical thinking, advocacy, and problem-solving skills for a rapidly changing legal profession; (2) fostering a welcoming and inclusive community and implementing anti-bias efforts within and beyond the law school; (3) developing cutting-edge research and scholarship, advocacy, and teaching that advance knowledge and address major societal problems and access-to-justice disparities. It advances these goals through innovative, cross-disciplinary partnerships with key stakeholders at Penn State, in Pennsylvania, throughout the nation, and around the world.
Penn State Law will be a national and international leader in innovative legal education, research, and advocacy that serves society and fosters a diverse, welcoming, and inclusive community.
Goal 1: Excellent Legal Education
Penn State Law will provide excellent legal education that prepares a diverse student body with exceptional research, writing, critical thinking, advocacy, and problem-solving skills for a rapidly changing legal profession.
- Skills for Legal Careers: Penn State Law will ensure that all students graduate with exceptional research, writing, critical thinking, advocacy, and problem-solving skills that prepare them to be leaders in the field of law.
- Legal Education for a Changing Society: Penn State Law will provide a legal education that prepares its students for the rapidly evolving legal profession. It will prepare them to lead in a workplace characterized by emerging technology, dynamic innovation, increasing globalization, and cross-cutting problems.
- Diverse Student Body: Penn State Law’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is intertwined with its commitment to excellent legal education. The law school will continue to develop a learning environment that is welcoming and inclusive; it will recognize the diverse experiences of its student body and encourage community members to learn from one another.
Goal 2: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Penn State Law will foster a welcoming and inclusive community and implement anti-bias efforts within and beyond the law school.
- Ongoing and Reflective Commitment: Penn State Law commits to creating a welcoming and inclusive community through a reflective and ongoing process of advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through concrete action.
- DEI Curricular Opportunities and Academic Resources: Penn State Law will continue to expand its curricular opportunities and academic resources for students to learn about bias, equity, and the law and develop cultural competence.
- Anti-Bias Training and Processes: Penn State Law will have ongoing anti-bias training for faculty, staff, students, and leadership, and a transparent, effective process for reporting bias.
- Diversity in Faculty, Staff, Students, and Leadership: Penn State Law will work to diversify its faculty, staff, students and leadership, and continue to develop scholarships to support students who will add to the diversity of the profession.
Goal 3: Cutting-edge research and scholarship, advocacy, and teaching
Penn State Law will develop cutting-edge research and scholarship, advocacy, and teaching that advance knowledge and address major societal problems and access to justice disparities.
- Cutting-Edge Research and Scholarship: Penn State Law will foster the production of cutting-edge research and scholarship that advances knowledge and addresses major societal problems and access to justice disparities.
- Cutting-Edge Advocacy and Teaching: Penn State Law will foster cutting-edge advocacy in its experiential courses and other projects that advances knowledge and addresses major societal problems and access to justice disparities.
Goal 4: Innovative Partnerships
Penn State Law will build innovative partnerships at Penn State, and around the state, nation, and world that cross disciplines and include key stakeholders.
- Interdisciplinary Partnerships: Penn State Law will continue to build innovative research and teaching partnerships with other Penn State Colleges, Campuses, and Institutes.
- International Partnerships: Penn State Law will continue to build meaningful partnerships with educational, professional, and governmental institutions around the world.
- Partnerships with Other Law Schools: Penn State Law will build partnerships with other law schools to amplify their impact on societal challenges and access to justice.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Penn State Law will engage government, non-profit, corporate, and community stakeholders in innovative projects that address societal challenges and access to justice.
Goal 5: Advance the future
Penn State Law will advance its future and opportunities for students and graduates through building academic programs, development, and the Penn State Lawyers network.
- New Academic Programs: Penn State Law will build financial sustainability through new academic programs within Penn State Law and in partnership with Colleges and Campuses.
- Fundraising and Board Development: Penn State Law will build fundraising from private donors, corporations, and foundations, and continue to build its Board of Advisors, Development Council, and Alumni Society Board.
- Penn State Lawyers: Penn State Law will continue to build its Penn State Lawyers network, which includes any lawyer with a tie to Penn State.